Black Start 2019_
A dynamic mix of local and international innovators came together in San Juan on March 21 to inspire and help us forge a path towards a new energy future for Puerto Rico.
An audience of 700 attended Black Start: Future of Energy Summit including business and NGO leaders, journalists, decision makers, policy makers, academics, high school & university students and community stakeholders. Over a thousand more from all over the world including Spain, the United Kingdom and Canada have streamed the conference.
Black Start 2019_ was a thought-provoking full day event with genuine discussions on Puerto Rico’s energy future.
The event was possible because of the generous support of our sponsors—particularly Fundación Colibrí, our presenting sponsor, who also made possible Anderson Cooper’s participation. Thanks again to El Nuevo Día-Revista Negocios, AIREKO, Oriental, PRISA group, Environmental Defense Fund, Bermúdez, Longo, Díaz-Massó, LLC, and our event exhibitors.
Black Start 2019_ brought together more than 20 speakers from Puerto Rico, New York, DC, Vermont, Colorado, Georgia, Minnesota and Hawaii to discuss the challenges that Puerto Rico’s energy system faces and reimagine the path for the island to develop a cutting-edge and resilient energy infrastructure. For your convenience we have divided all the panels into sections.
Watch each panel by clicking on the images below.
All speakers’ presentation slides are available on our website.
Laying out the Vision
- Sergio M. Marxuach – CNE
- Luis A. Avilés – University of Puerto Rico Law School
- David Bissell – Kaua’i Island Utility Cooperative
- Janine Migden-Ostrander – Regulatory Assistance Project
- Kenneth J. Nemeth – Southern States Energy Board
Game Changers: Local Innovators and Policymakers
- Anderson Cooper – Journalist
- Malu Blázquez – ReImagina Puerto Rico
- Josen Rossi – Institute for Competitiveness and Sustainable Economy
- Ruth Santiago – Lawyer
- Hon. Larry Seilhamer – Puerto Rico Senate Vice President
- Hon. Eduardo Bhatia – Puerto Rico Senate Minority Leader
Reboot: Adapting for a Sustainable Future
Black Marble: Mapping Recovery Through Satellite Data
Lightning Rounds: Cutting Edge Technologies
- John Farrell – Institute for Local Self Reliance
- Geoffrey Heal – Columbia University
- José E. Sánchez – US Army Corps of Engineers
- Roy Torbert – Rocky Mountain Institute
- Tomás J. Torres Placa – Institute for Competitiveness and Sustainable Economy
- Ingrid M. Vila-Biaggi – Cambio PR